p.s.

I like listening to authors discussing their work, Radio 4's Front Row is especially good for this. I also like reading author interviews that provide insights into their working lives, their creative process. I want to hear a description of their desk too. I like to compare notes with my own routines, 'oh, I do that too.' or 'I must try that technique.'

Recently I read two novels in the back of which were additional pages of author notes and information. 'Life After Life' by Kate Atkinson and 'When God Was a Rabbit' by Sarah Winman. Atkinson writes a short essay on why and how she wrote her story, and her research for it, with interesting insights into what is historically accurate and what is her own invention. I find that kind of detail fascinating. Winman has also written a short piece on her inspiration for this, her first novel, and other pieces titled 'Life as a writer', 'My day' and 'My tips'. All short but sterling stuff for the curious.

These interviews have been much on my mind because I've been planning the back pages of The Darkening Days of John Mann. The back pages are literally that, the pages that appear at the back of the book after the story has finished. Traditionally in an ebook (has the ebook been around long enough to generate traditions?) an author will include the first few chapters of his/her next book. And I could do that, include a sneaky peek of Book 3 but I'm drawn to the idea of including a piece about my writing style, methods and inspirations. I think I would enjoy writing that and hope others would find it an interesting read. The nearest I have come to doing something like this is my author interview at Smashwords which you can read here Charles Barrow Interview

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

life in lockdown

reading challenges

free ebook download