creepy kids and big cats

I took a trip to the zoo. A friend told me it seemed a very retro thing to do, and so it was I suppose. I remember a visit to London Zoo when I was a youngster although, oddly, it's the crowds of people I recall rather than the animals.

On this recent visit I was taken with the big cats, as opposed to being taken by the big cats, which is a rather different thing altogether and one which stirred another retro memory. I recently re-read some Ray Bradbury short stories, amongst them a tale called The Veldt. I won't spoil the ending if you haven't read it, but it involves some creepy kids, some far future technology and a pride of lions on the open grasslands of Africa. This story made quite an impression on my young mind that has stayed with me down the years, so it was interesting to return to it recently and discover that, while it had lost some of its power to unsettle it was still enjoyable none-the-less.

And thoughts of it returned to me as I strolled around the big cat enclosures admiring the dozing felines. When they look so much like their cuddly, domesticated cousins; same contented faces, same mannerisms, same easy grace, it's easy to forget what ferocious killers they all are.





Photos are the author's own

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

reading challenges

life in lockdown

free ebook download