i'll skip the soup course, thanks

I was looking for an excuse to post this photo. How could I post it and make it seem relevant to anything?

November. It's the first day of November, it's grey, dreary and very wet outside. A day to hurry down the street, ignoring everything around you in a rush to get home. Autumn is often like this, but it can be warm and sunny and if you slow down and look around then you might spot a mushroom village like this one.

Writing. A few posts ago I wrote about Agatha Christie's penchant for poisoning her fictional victims. I was talking about digitalis, in particular, that time but now I'm wondering if the Queen of Murder (a new nickname that probably won't catch on), if Christie ever used mushrooms to kill off a rich old relative and prompt Miss Marple to get snooping.* Sure, some fungi are delicious in a risotto (with parmesan) but others cause the most hideous, lingering deaths. I'm certain she would have known which was which.

I've no idea what kind of mushrooms these are, but they certainly don't look very appealing, in the culinary sense. They do still look attractive though, in a woodland way. In a 'this is how we quietly go about our business every Autumn, and you don't even notice' kind of a way, that nature does so well. In the end I've decided that the photo doesn't really need to be relevant in any particular way. I just like it.

* I should have googled before I wrote the above, it would have made me look far more intelligent. But I like to look honest too, so I'll admit that I googled after the fact and indeed Agatha poisoned several victims with mushrooms, one with a lovely sounding sage and mushroom soup.




Photo is the author's own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

life in lockdown

reading challenges

free ebook download