up against the wall

Once in a while I read a book which has a big impact on me. It might be the storyline hits home, it may be that a specific character appeals hugely, or it could be all about the timing - it chimes with my current mood. I've just found such a book in The Wall by John Lanchester, (currently long listed for the Booker prize 2019). In this case, I really liked spending time with the characters, and I really enjoyed the tension and the humour in story; it was a gripping read that I kept returning to, to the exclusion of all else. But what I really admired was the craft of the novel, the writing itself. It is a slim book (274 pages), so a concise story. The writing is direct, sparse, no flowery description, and the narrative voice, of Kavanagh the main character, is clear and compulsive. It drives the plot forward relentlessly, as he slowly reveals the story to us. We only ever know what he tells us, and we root for him, and fear for him and those he cares for.

Hats off to John Lanchester, I admire his work here immensely. This is the type of writing that seems simple and easy, but is actually the hardest kind to pull off successfully. I would recommend this book to all writers, and would-be writers. I'd recommend that they study it as a lesson in how to tell a perfect story without getting lost in excess. I'll be reading it again soon, and I'll be taking notes. Heretical, I know, but I may actually make notes in the book itself. I've never done that to a book before, but I might make an exception with this one; I am that impressed by it. I'm also very keen to read more work by Lanchester, on the strength of this one.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

reading challenges

life in lockdown

free ebook download