life in lockdown 7 - summer bookshelf

Lockdown continues to ease, but not all my anxieties ease along with it. Few aspects of life seem like normal life yet. I wear a mask on the bus, and on the train. I wear a mask in the supermarket. Outside the Apple store an employee wants to take my temperature before I'm allowed to enter. I ask her what will happen if I test positive for a high temperature; will I just be turned away? Will she offer me follow up advice? Counselling? She seems confused by my questions, and doesn't attempt to answer them. I feel bad that I asked her, though I think my questions are legitimate. I feel bad for her that she's out here alone on the frontline, facing people like me who ask awkward questions. I'm not happy but I allow her to take my temperature, and I pass the test, so she asks me to join a queue to get through the front door of the store. I'm vaguely relieved to learn that I'm not being turned away, and that I have no discernible sign of illness, but I don't want to go inside now. The anticipated joy of coveting shiny products that I can't afford has been shown to be hollow.

Things being as they are, I look for 'normal' elsewhere. I find it in reading, I always have. Waterstones is close to the Apple store. It's a big, airy shop spread over three floors. I still wear a mask inside but no one wants to take my temperature as I enter, so already I'm feeling more relaxed. A bookshop is my happy place. It doesn't have to be a large chain store, I'm just as happy in a small independent, they usually have a better atmosphere, though a smaller range. I also buy books in charity shops, and online. I'm happy to buy books wherever books are sold. Below are some of my latest purchases, that make up my summer reading list.





Photo is the author's own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

life in lockdown

reading challenges

free ebook download