the when and the where

Music. Very evocative, but very subjective. One person's all time favourite, is someone else's headache. And a lot of it is elevator music, muzak, annoying ear worm, a racket.

Of course, with some tunes, there is also a lot more going on than lyrics and a melody. There is the instant Bing of recognition when the opening bars of a song starts, that can transport the listener to another time and place completely. For me this happens, most often, with songs from my youth. To be honest, I don't even have to much like a song to have this happen, but most times I don't choose those tracks, they just appear on a nearby radio, but a big part of the appeal of my favourite ones is that they do transport me back to what, now, seems like simpler days (though I'm sure I never thought my life was simple at the time). The memories aren't necessarily all happy, of course, a break-up song is just as evocative as a make-out song. 

Another bonus of an old favourite is that I remember almost all of the lyrics, some from 40 years ago, an extraordinary feat that I just can't replicate with new music that I buy, and even more impressive when you consider that most days I can't remember what I had for lunch. But music has that power, the power to trigger recall. Where I was, how I felt, who I was with, when I first heard it, what it meant to me.

I think this is why music is so important to people. It's a soundtrack to our lives. A time machine. We all carry around a vast CD/Vinyl/MP3/Cassette/Whatever collection in our head, alongside a bigger archive of memories. Cue up a track, press play, and your memory starts to stream in tandem with the music, putting you right back in the moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

reading challenges

life in lockdown

free ebook download