cover that sold me the book #42

Cover That Sold Me The Book #42

So we've all been guilty of judging a book by its cover, both metaphorically and literally, haven't we? I try not to do the first, but hey I'm human. However I am definitely guilty of the second. I can pore over that table of books in Waterstones, the one with the new releases, laid flat on their backs, artfully designed covers glowing under bright lights, and lift dozens of them up for a closer inspection if the cover art appeals. I always spend less time browsing the A-Z shelves where I'm faced with rows and rows of spines, though I will head there if I'm after a specific title. It's the cover that will always attract me. Does that make me shallow, that I love all the pretty, shiny things? Anyway, the marketing works on me, so I guess I'm both shallow and susceptible. 

Of course, pretty and shiny doesn't always guarantee a thumping good read. As with the metaphor, the contents don't always bear any relation to the packaging, and, as far as books go, I have been duped by a cover on more than one occasion. World class literature can be sewn into a plain paper wrapper, shitty prose can be found beautifully bound. That's the gamble. With Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin, however, I'd already heard the buzz, and read the stellar reviews, and knew that I was getting a great read, so the cover didn't have to do too much heavy lifting, and it was just a bonus that it is so eye-catching but it definitely spurred me on to part with my hard earned cash. The cover art borrows heavily from a painting, The Great Wave by Japanese artist Katsushika Hokusai. It's one of my favourite images, which I already have framed on my wall at home. And the rainbow text spoke to me too, gave the whole thing a very contemporary feeling, to balance out the 150ish year old artwork. Sadly no credit has been given inside the book for the jacket designer, so I can't note that information here.

Anyway, five stars***** for the cover. And the book is bloody brilliant. Highly recommended. Five stars all the way, everyday.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

reading challenges

life in lockdown

neither a borrower